You try on a dress that looked beautiful in the store window, but feel that it looks awful on you. Does this sound familiar? Well, it doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with your body. You simply don’t dress according to your body shape. But don’t worry, we have some tips for you on what to wear to make your body type look its absolute best.
An apple-shaped body
- Wear clothes that draw attention away from your mid-section and waist. V-neck empire waist dresses and tops, wrap dresses and A-line dresses will do wonders for you. Choose tops that cover the entire belly area and extend just below your hips.
- Avoid double breasted jackets, bulky tops and clingy silhouettes. Go for layered tops, ruched tops and tunics.
- Avoid skinny jeans and straight leg pants if you are top heavy. Flared or boot cut pants with back pockets are the right choice for you.
- Instead of wearing a belt around the waist, wear it just below your bust. This will create curves and minimize your waist.
A pear-shaped body
- Highlight your shoulders to balance the shape of your figure. For this you can use scarves, pashminas and colorful necklaces.
- Choose patterned and embellished tops and dresses. Make your shoulders look broader with a bateau neckline, cap and puff sleeves.
- Avoid tight pants, capri pants, short skirts and pencil skirts. Choose tailored, flared pants and A-line skirts instead.
- Wear dark, solid colors for your bottom half and lighter, brightly colored tops.
A rectangular body shape
- If you don’t have natural curves, you can use clothes and accessories to create them. Wear a belt at the narrowest part of your waist to accentuate it. Choose empire-waist and wrap dresses.
- Wear tops that end at the mid-section of the hips. Enhance your shoulders and bust line with ruffled or pleated tops, and choose accessories that add volume to your upper part.
- Choose underwear that provides good breast support and makes your waist more defined.
- Peplum jackets, tops, dresses and skirts will create the illusion of an hourglass shape.
An hourglass shape
- Highlight your curves. For this, it’s essential to choose clothes that draw attention to your waist.
- Avoid baggy clothing. Remember that drawing focus to your narrow waist is the best way to highlight your hips and bust.
- Wear undergarments that fit correctly. If your bust is large, be sure to use the right kind of bra. Avoid using padded cups or unstructured bras that make your cleavage look droopy.
- Go for V-neck tops and dresses, pencil skirts, and shirts that accentuate your breasts.